A few days ago one of the svchost.exe processes on my machine (Win7 64) started exhibiting this annoying behavior: it will start with about 30 to 40 megabytes of memory, which stays roughly constant for a while, but then later it begins bloating, slowly but surely, possibly at a slightly exponential rate, until a few hours later it is taking up so many gigabytes that I cannot work on my computer anymore. So, I have to stop what I am doing, save everything, and restart the computer, only to have to go through the same ordeal a few hours later.
On at least two occasions I have witnessed this happening along with unreasonably high CPU utilization, up to a full CPU core.
Obviously, this started happening after I installed or tweaked something, but I did not notice the precise point in time that it started happening, and my machine is a busy machine, so I had no suspects to name.
I looked around the interwebz for a solution, but to no avail. People give some good troubleshooting hints, but nobody seems to have an actual solution.
The svchost.exe process which causes the problem contains the following services: